Monday 7 March 2011

New Art Software

I have had a dilemma for quite a while now, which has been the line quality that I produce on my computer after I scan in drawings and continue using my tablet and PC. When I look at the work of many professionals and enlarge their work on screen there never seems to be any pixelation or distortion of the line quality. My own on the other hand is terrible. I have asked many people over the last year what it could be and thought I new a possible answer? all to know avail, until I was attending a photo shop lesson on scanning images by a recent degree student, now an excellent gallery curator. She said it was the professional software in Photo shop and Illustrator that smoothes out and fills in any pixelation for you automatically. Obviously most professionals have the expensive software and do not see the complete other end of the spectrum Kids/ Student entry level. At the moment I do not feel I warrant spending £600 to £1000 on Photo Shop or Illustrator so I have spent £60 on upgrading my Artrage package I got with my tablet which does do something similar. I have done a couple of drawings and paintings with it and it is far superior to my original, but still need to practice with it a lot more. The next sketch was done with no smoothing on and the lines to the left as viewed are with differing types of smoothing on. If you enlarge it you may see what I mean.






The two caricatures above are old ones I have done and tidied up in the new Artrage. I could see a big difference in the quality of the line but not sure it will show up here on this blog?

      I have recently visited some friends of mine in London and promised to do a couple of caricatures of their Nieces but the photos I took on my phone were quite terrible, with to much light blocking out all the detail? If in doubt as an artist blame your equipment! I always seem to make children look to old? lets hope these very well behaved children grow into them, Nina, and Danni.
I have to dash now as I need to push the vacuum round and get tea on. Being self employed can be a difficult life? Regards.

No comments:

Post a Comment